Poet | Lyricist | Songwriter | Singer | Music Supervisor | Storyteller
Ankur Tewari is a man of many talents. Best known as a singer - songwriter, he is also a composer, music supervisor & a poet. Lyrically, Ankur Tewari weaves magic with his compositions allowing one to feel an array of emotions with each song.
He has made music as an independent artist since 1998. His debut album, Jannat, was released in 2008 and ruled the charts. He has released a double album Side A/ Side B, a children’s album with Sony Music along with many other singles.
He has composed and written the lyrics for multiple feature length films including Gully Boy, Guilty, Yeh Ballet and Raat Gayi Baat Gayi among others. He won the coveted Filmfare award for best lyrics for his work in Gully Boy.
His 2019 single about climate change, Dhuaan Dhuaan, had over 1 million YouTube views on the day of its release.
He was the music supervisor for the blockbuster Bollywood film Gully Boy which won him multiple accolades and other renowned film guilds; he also wrote lyrics and sang for the film’s soundtrack. He has supervised music for multiple Feature films and OTT shows for Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Ankur has also worked with several NGOs & nonprofit organizations such as CRY for their 40th anniversary which tapped into the narrative of keeping one's inner child happy, The Minor Project (in collaboration with Leher India) where he is an ambassador against child labour & abuse, Asar India for spreading awareness about the ever-growing plight of all kinds of climate change.
His protest anthem, Woh Hum Nahin, in 2019 was performed in various protests around the nation. Recently, he hosted the third season of MTV Sound Trippin' which had Ankur collaborate with artists across various soundscapes from Goa, Jodhpur, Uttarakhand & Mumbai.
Ankur is the front man of Ankur & The Ghalat Family, a Hindi rock band. Their music styles are groovy folk-rock and acoustic ballads.Ankur is a member of the Hindi Samiti with the Delhi government, that works towards popularising the Hindi language in the region. He is also a co-founder at Kommune, which runs India’s biggest spoken word festival, Spoken.
1. Won Filmfare Awards (2020) for Best Lyricist (Apna Time Aayega), Best Music Album (Gully Boy) & Best Music Director (Gully Boy)
2. Won Zee Cine Award (2020) for Song of the Year - Viewers Choice for Apna Time Aayega
3. Won Screen Award (2019) for Best Lyricist for Apna Time Aayega (Gully Boy)
4. Won FOI Online Awards (2020) for Best Lyricist for Apna Time Aayega (Gully Boy)
5. Music Supervisor for critically acclaimed projects – Guilty by Ruchi Narain, Yeh Ballet by Sooni Taraporevala, Gully Boy by Zoya Akhtar & Made in Heaven by Zoya Akhtar & Reema Kagti.